Hi fellow MAWT members,
Bob Leonard presented a great demo on using vacuum chucks. Bob, who runs Frugal Vacuum Chucks, demonstrated his advancements in vacuum pumps and especially the chucks. Many members probably use vacuum chuck but if you haven’t, you should seriously consider one. I purchased one of Bob’s chucks a few years ago and it is invaluable for many turning operations. Check out his website at frugalvacuumchuck.com.
- Here are some updates on the club’s involvement in community programs:
- Turn for Troops – the last count was over 700 pens (and that was back in September). The last opportunity to drop off pens is our November meeting (Nov. 1). If you need pen-kits, contact Dave Drickhamer at firstname.lastname@example.org . He will make arrangements to get them delivered.
- Empty Bowls – we had a total of 72 bowls! Thanks to everyone who donated wood and turn bowls.
- Beads of Courage – we are hoping to plan a demo and presentation soon. If you have made a BOC vessel, bring it to a meeting. I will deliver them to Wisconsin Children’s Hospital.
- We need some members to step up and help out by becoming a Board members. There are three openings starting at the beginning of next year, as well as the President’s position. Being on the Board is not as horrible as it sounds. It is actually quite easy, takes little time and allows you to participate directly on how MAWT operates. Remember that the reason this club is so great is because of members who get involved. Contact me at email@example.com or Tony Rozendaal at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are still planning on the Annual Christmas party on December 6th. We will have the Gift Exchange and also a special Raffle with some great prizes.
- A thank you to Dennis Motl for fixing one of our smaller Rikon midi-lathes.
- Finally, there will some changes to the meeting area in the next few months. The Wisconsin Woodworkers Guild will be building a workshop and our shared meeting/demo area will be remodeled. The space for the demos will be about the same, just moved over. We will also make the floor space more efficient. This is a project the Guild has discussed with Woodcraft and the MAWT Board has approved it. All of the work is to be by the WW Guild.
Stay safe and keep turning,
President, Milwaukee Area Woodturners
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.