If you weren’t able to attend the 2023 December Holiday Party you missed a great time! We had a great turnout with lots of great food and fellowship! There was a gift exchange and a door prize drawing. If you were there it was great to see you!
NOTE: For our January 2024 meeting we will meet on January 8, as New Years Day falls on a Monday. I will be demonstrating making a peppermill: how to lay it out, drilling the blank on the lathe, and some basic design fundamentals as far as shape and proportion.
There are several important announcements that were made at the meeting:
- We have one board member (Suzy Hoffman) who has served their full three year term and is moving on. We could use two board members. I am still looking for someone who is willing to serve as Vice President with the intention of serving as president beginning in 2025. That person, as an officer, would have their AAW Membership reimbursed as long as they served as an officer. Please let me know if you are willing to serve as either a board member at large or in particular as Vice President
- February 2024. The meeting date for February 2024 is somewhat up in the air. If you were at the meeting on the 4th, there have been developments and date changes even since we made the announcements last Monday night. We should have everything nailed down by the January meeting.
- Woodworking Show. We believe that the club will have a booth at the Milwaukee Woodworking Show which is scheduled for February 15, 16 and 17. Ron Zdroik will be in charge of setting up and scheduling for the show.
- Dues – It’s that time of the year when dues are due. If you have not paid your 2024 dues, please do so. You can pay at the next meeting with check or cash. If you prefer to pay by credit card you can pay online – click here.
- We are hosting Alan Lacer for a three day event in April. Click here for more details or to register (and pay) for the demonstration and the hands-on sessions.
- We have a Tuition Grant available for those who are interested in taking formal training in woodturning. Click here to see the complete list of requirements and the application form (or send me an email and I will forward those to you).
I will take this opportunity to extend my Holiday and Year End greetings and best wishes to all of you. I think the Milwaukee Area Woodturners have has a relatively successful year. We already have a demonstration scheduled for every month in 2024. We will continue to hold Open Shop days when it is appropriate to do so. I want also to extend my personal thanks to those who consistently help out at the club. I began to list individuals, but the list became quite lengthy and I was afraid I would forget someone.